A Cry for Help

More like a Cry for Updates
« Lavish Comments Upon Me! | Main | Israelis Kill Saruman »

March 21, 2004

Being Alan Shawn Feinstein

On the heels of our comments about ASF last week, the Providence Journal has an altogether horrible article on the man himself. I have no real love for ASF, but he does good work and has inspired people I know, so I'm not sure why the ProJo put a hit piece out on him. Go read it.

The big revelation, apparently, is that ASF made his fortune parting fools with their money via selling "collectible" stamp sets and other miscellaneous junk for lots of money. While I wouldn't go into this line of work, I gotta say I'm a lot more concerned about the rich guys who don't give a damn about other people and are a lot less scrupulous than stamp hucksters.

More than anything, writer Jennifer Levitz seemed to be oozing with contempt for ASF. She sought out quotes from people on the internet who some would consider the victims of Feinstein's "scams," she continuously (and contemptuously?) wrote phoenetic spellings into quotes to highlight ASF's thick RI accent, and made special efforts to point out purported egotism. Listen, Jennifer, I'm sure you probably think you're adding "color" to your quotes, but a person's pronunciation of a word doesn't change its spelling (I've yet to see a reporter quote the President on nukuler weapons, after all). And try as you might, you probably won't convince me that a guy so devoted to children and idealism is just looking for attention for himself. Rich guys with big egos run for public office, not establish charitable foundations. Plus, didn't they teach you in J-school not to make yourself part of the story?

Now, like I mentioned last week, I like to have fun at ASF's expense, but I can't stand to see a practically defamatory news article in a VERY prominent spot on the front page of the Sunday Paper. Come on. I like it better when the Journal goes out to knock corrupt legislators down a peg.

Posted by Bil at March 21, 2004 10:36 PM
Comments

Ha Ha Ha, look at that guy! Nice umbrella.

Posted by: Gabe at March 22, 2004 01:33 AM : Link this comment

Dear Allen Shawn Feinstien,

I, Kalli Hayter am a student at Burriville Middle School,and i was wondering if you could send us a small donation. This donantion would be for a difiblater that not only can save our lives,but can save your life too. I thought that you would be so willing to give us a donation for this worth wild cost beacuse you are a wonderful, generous person, who saves lives everyday. So maybe you can save a life today if you send a check to 220 Bronco Highway. I hope you respond to my letter with an anwser and and chech, but if you don't i still think you're one of the best people in the world. You've done so much for the world, but maybe you have the time to see this letter of plee, and donate money for a difibulater.Thank you for your time and keep donating!

Posted by: Kalli Hayter at June 2, 2004 08:30 AM : Link this comment

Interesting. Seems Ms. Levitz has a habit of confusing "investigation reporting" with character-bashing. Clever to use misleading information and leave out known information to justify faulty analysis. Here's to her scoop! Her day in the sun. Hope she enjoys the company she will be in with. It won't include noted journalist, but might include ex-Boston Globe writers. Rhode Islanders can be proud!!

Posted by: Adnil Yar at August 27, 2004 09:26 PM : Link this comment

So from the tone of the previous comments I take it that all of Rhode sland is OK with a person who is treated with great respect who is a thief a scam artist and a hustler...because he purportedly sends part of his ill gotten gains help the hungry. HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW THIS??? Because HE says so? WAIT A MINUTE. ASF is a thief, scam artist and hustler. How do you know he sends money to help the hungry??? Because he says so? Are you going to believe a thief, scam artist and hustler? You also might want to check into allegations that he is also a smuggler. Once a crook, always a crook-and he spends OTHER peoples money to buy himself a good reputation..If you believe he is doing any good work for anything other than his own glory, he has also scammed you.

Posted by: Shelley at May 2, 2005 01:36 PM : Link this comment

Posted by: Shelley at May 2, 2005 01:37 PM : Link this comment

Dear Mr. Feinstein,

I am a sophomore at South Kingstown High School. This year has been really hard for me because of personal problems. I am part of the Student Support Center. This is a comforting place for us to calm down and talk through our problems. The teachers get us. We are working hard to go to Washington, DC the first weekend in June. This will be a first for many of us. The first time out of New England and on an airplane. This will be the last chance for us to go on a trip together because the program is being discontinued. We have raised $3000 and need $2000 more. Most of us don't come from families that can pay any money to send us. If you can help us in anyway we will be more than grateful.

Thanks for listening.